Wednesday 18 June 2014

A Big Cheer for a Long Serving Volunteer


After over 4 ½ years of working with Guy’s Gift, Grace, our longest serving volunteer, is hanging up her volunteering spurs. We couldn’t let Grace ‘retire’ without giving her a proper send off...

Grace was part of the very first group to be trained as Guy’s Gift volunteers, so she’s not only seen how the charity has developed from a pilot scheme to a fully fledged operation, she's also helped dozens of bereaved families in Warwickshire.

We’re incredibly grateful for everything that Grace has done for Guy’s Gift and she will be greatly missed.

 Here is Grace in 2010, accepting a cheque on Guy's Gift's behalf from Waitrose in Alcester.


We spoke to Grace to find out more about her time with us:

What inspired you to become a volunteer for Guy’s Gift?
I needed to do something after my husband died, so when I read an article in the local newspaper about Guy’s Gift it appealed to me as I get on very well with children. I read the article several times to be sure, then rang to find out more.

What was the best thing about being a volunteer for Guy’s Gift?
The children always seem pleased to see me. They talked to me about their feelings and I hope I helped them to understand. It was also something I could do on a day and time to suit me.

What’s been your most memorable experience of being a Guy’s Gift volunteer?
The Family Days at Hatton – I really enjoyed everything about them. It was hard listening to the parents talking about their losses and experiences, but it was good to meet everyone who came along.

What advice would you give to anyone thinking of volunteering for Guy’s Gift?
I’ve really enjoyed it and it’s a good thing to do. It was nice working with the children. I started volunteering after my husband had died and it gave me a focus. It was interesting to see how the children coped with their individual losses and also to see their understanding about what had happened. The children and I were in a similar situation and helping them helped me.

So all that remains for us to say is a huge “thank you” to Grace – not only from us but from all of the children that you have supported over the years. You have made a bigger difference than you will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment